Independent Nottingham Rugby Supporters Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2018 5:32 pm  #1

Bedford away B&I Cup

Anyone travelling to Bedford, for our last ever B&I Cup match? Or do you think playing a dead rubber a pointless exercise?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm  for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

January 17, 2018 7:02 pm  #2

Re: Bedford away B&I Cup

I am not convinced it will be our last ever B & I match , notwithstanding what was said in the Munster programme. In previous seasons all pool matches had to be played irrespective of their relevance. In 2013 Newport v Connaught A was played on the date of the S.F. The argument being it affects the integrity of the competition if you can't be bothered to travel - the whole idea of rugby clubs is that play rugby matches.

January 19, 2018 9:15 am  #3

Tango Alpha 3 wrote:

I am not convinced it will be our last ever B & I match , notwithstanding what was said in the Munster programme. In previous seasons all pool matches had to be played irrespective of their relevance. In 2013 Newport v Connaught A was played on the date of the S.F. The argument being it affects the integrity of the competition if you can't be bothered to travel - the whole idea of rugby clubs is that play rugby matches.

Yes, you're correct Tango. Our home match against Ospreys will be played in March.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm  for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

January 20, 2018 6:05 pm  #4

We need some details on what is going to replace the B&I Cup.
Does anyone know what this is going to be?

January 21, 2018 10:17 pm  #5

A season low attendance of 1,912 duly saw Bedford gain the 5 points that guaranteed them a home QF in the final year of the B & I.  The result a loss of 32-15 compared to the league margin of 30-12 sounds very similar, but whereas the league defeat was a real stuffing this time was far more competitive.
The first hour was played in light, but persistent rain which meant the terraces had plenty of open brollies on show, but the pitch did not cause problems & the game did not descend into an attritional mudbath.
Attacking uphill in the first half we scored first as blindside Coghlan was fed off a maul & had no trouble going over next to the flag from a few yards. Indeed we were still in the lead past the half hour as a simple Eden pen (if any are simple in the pouring rain) restored our lead after they were adjudged to have gone over from short range. It has been an unfortunate weakness of ours in the last 4 or 5 games that we seem capable of only repelling a number of short range drives before conceding while failing to pull the trick off ourselves. DV seems to spend so long organising & pointing that it allows the opposition defence to become watertight.
2 tries before ht made all the difference – another close range effort – much more obvious this one & a superb xkick that their free-scoring winger was just able to take inside their ultra short in goal area.  HT 19-8. We had lost Cobden to a HIA about the half hour mark.
A try which gave them the BP they wanted was followed by a pragmatic penalty to extend their lead to 21 points, before Hakalo’s converted try off first phase scrum ball reduced the deficit. This was after a really puzzling decision to deny us a try. Poullet burst off the back of a 5 yard scrum under the posts which the referee chalked off. I can’t fathom why as the scrum ball was very clean and the scrum ordered to be re-taken. From the re-start we went the other side & scored further out anyway.
A further pragmatic pen made it 32-15 & the game ended with a flurry of pressure from us, but a 5 yard line out was overthrown & the game ended with us passing forward. In truth we had been able to bring little pressure to bear down slope & a full hand of subs by either side did not change the pattern of the game.
In the league we looked frankly outclassed. In this match it was a lack of accuracy that let us down : the clearing kick that went out on the full, the forward pass or two, the dropped pass that was hacked on 50 yards & eventually cost us 7 points, the occasionally mis-functioning lineout. They were not so generous except perhaps in knock-ons. This was a game of relatively few pens & most of them were for deemed offsides. Our scrum coped, however we were unable to bring our wingers into meaningful attacking action.
Next up Doncaster a team whose record travelling is actually better than at home.

January 22, 2018 3:31 pm  #6

Thanks Tango. glad to hear the scrum coped this time. last time at Bedford it was embarrassing how they pushed us off the ball with ease.

Bleedsgreenandwhite

Board footera