Independent Nottingham Rugby Supporters Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2018 7:22 am  #1

VACANCY: FULL TIME COACHING POSITIONS

Yesterday, Nottingham Rugby invited applications for the roles of Forwards Coach and Backs/Attack Coach, with one of the roles also incorporating the position of Head of Rugby at Nottingham Trent University.    On the same day, Wasps announced the following statement :-

"Wasps fly-half Danny Cipriani is to leave at the end of the season. The 30-year-old 14-times capped England stand-off will end his second spell with the Premiership club, having re-signed for Wasps from Sale in 2016."I'll be sad to leave Wasps, but my job is far from finished. I can promise the fans my absolute all until the end of the season. I will now take some time to decide my next move," said Cipriani. "We thank him for all his efforts," added director of rugby Dai Young."Now this decision has been made public we can all concentrate on the really important three-and-a-half months of rugby which lies ahead. 

Cipriani's time in rugby union - Having come through the Wasps Academy, making his debut as a 17-year-old in December 2004, London-born Cipriani also played at full-back in his early days. He scored 688 points in 96 appearances in his first spell with Wasps, in their days playing home games in High Wycombe, at Adams Park. He then spent a season with Australian Super Rugby side Melbourne Rebels before returning to the Premiership to join Sale in 2012. After four years at Sale, he returned to Wasps in 2016, since when he has added a further 120 points in their colours and become part of the select band of players to go past 1,000 points in the Premiership.Having made his international debut in 2008, he has so far won just 14 England caps, having had to play second fiddle primarily to Owen Farrell and George Ford. And, having been left out of the 2015 World Cup squad, he has not figured under current coach Eddie Jones.

'Wasps keen to balance books' - analysis   BBC Radio 5 live's rugby union reporter Chris Jones   Danny Cipriani has been a key part of Wasps' rise to consistent Premiership title challengers but, with the likes of All Black Lima Sopoaga on the way, Dai Young is keen to reshape his squad and balance his books. It means Cipriani is again at something of a career crossroads - and is pondering between staying in England or moving to France or even Japan. But while his international career seems over, Cipriani's fine form over the past few seasons means that he will be a major asset to wherever he moves next."

Ian Costello is moving to Wasps at the end of the season to take up the role of the senior backs coach. At Nottingham Rugby, he has been instrumental in establishing strong links with other premiership clubs especially Wasps, Leicester Tigers and Warriors with dual - registered, loan players, and providing our young talented players for the A league.

Is Danny Cipriani considering a move to Nottingham Rugby ?  The rumour mill has it that someone of his age/description/stature has been viewing expensive property in the West Bridgford area. Just as a coincidence, most of the high end properties in that location are marketed by FHP Living, a major sponsor/supporter of Nottingham Rugby.

At over 6', Cipriani's experience, pace, and skills at fly half could be an asset to the club, both as player and coach. He came through the Academy system at Wasps in 2004, and should have the ability to pass on his extensive knowledge to players from Nottingham Rugby/Nottingham Trent University/Nottingham Rugby Academy squads. He has also played at full back.

Would he be right or wrong for Nottingham Rugby given his alleged playboy image ?  

CBP

February 13, 2018 11:29 am  #2

Re: VACANCY: FULL TIME COACHING POSITIONS

Are you suggesting he would play for us or be a support coach to Fowksie or both?

Regardless of his image I imagine his price tag would be prohibitive even if our sponsors put him up.

Having said that. In a fantasy land I would love to see him play 10 for us and coach the backs next season. I have always rated him as a maverick type of player. High risk high reward etc.

Not so sure he is actually ready to give up the top flight just yet though. Lots of cash to be made in France before those boots are hung up I reckon.

Also hard to credit someone who actually chose to give up Kelly Brooke...

Bleedsgreenandwhite

February 13, 2018 12:31 pm  #3

Re: VACANCY: FULL TIME COACHING POSITIONS

would love to see Cipriani playing for Nottingham but am not sure we could afford him.
I can see the new Backs coach being a stand off that is coming to the end of their career who can be a player coach that way Tiff will be replaced at the same time.
having said that maybe Cipriani wants to start coaching and Nottingham has got a deserved reputation for developing both players and coaches!!

Board footera